Electronic FOIA Reading Room (E-FOIA)
What is E-FOIA?
The Electronic Freedom of Information Act (E-FOIA) Amendments of 1996 (P.L. 104-231) amend the Freedom of Information Act as follows:
- Extends the time within which agencies must respond to requests for information from 10 to 20 business days (excluding holidays).
- Requires agencies to make reasonable efforts to produce records in the format desired by requesters.
- Requires agencies to submit annual reports by fiscal year.
- Requires agencies to make the reports available to the public by computer, telecommunications or other electronic means.
- Requires agencies to list their major information systems, record locator systems, and a reference guide or guide for obtaining information.
- Requires agencies to establish electronic reading rooms that include agency policies, staff manuals, opinions made in the adjudication of cases, and an index of records released by FOIA that are likely to become the subject of subsequent FOIA requests.
- The E-FOIA Amendments provided specific dates for implementation.
The following links provide additional information on E-FOIA: